Monday, February 2, 2009

Exercise Four - Nicole Michaud

An Object I Love:
An object I love is my Tassimo Coffee Maker. It produces a wide assortment of freshly brewed hot drinks at the touch of one button. It is the simplest way to enjoy a hot coffee or beverage every morning, or any time during the day.


The affordances are very simple, limited and clear. There is a loading device at the top of the machine, where you would place a desired beverage pod. A water container at the back of the machine, which allows for very simple refilling.

I could not find any constraints on this object other than the fact that it is not portable, and requires to be plugged into an electrical outlet.

The mapping and visibility is very simple on this machine as well. At the back of the machine there is a power switch that turns the machine on or off. The front of the machine has one button that is very clear, which activates the machine and produces your desired fresh hot beverage. There are lights at the front of the machine tha
t indicate the process that the machine is facing. One light signals that the auto brewing is ready, one that indicates the water is heating, and one that indicates manual brewing. When the machine is finished brewing your beverage, the manual light comes on, another push of the button begins dispensing more hot water into your beverage for the option of a weaker beverage.

Another thing I love about this coffee maker, is that there is a wide variety of beverages that it can produce. From many flavors of teas, caffeinated and decaffeinated coffees, cappuccino, espresso, latte and hot chocolate, including select Starbucks beverages.


An Object I Hate:
An object I hate is my Panasonic DVD Player. It is a very useful device within my entertainment system in my home, although I encounter many different problems with it.


The affordances seem simple; there are simple buttons and controls for the system, but they do not respond to the user the way they are supposed to. Which leads to the constraints, that are basically the entire system all together. The buttons do not respond to the user in a timely manner, the disk carrier is very slow. The disk reader does not respond to the DVD disks, which do not allow the disk to be played. There are many issues with my DVD player, and I think it is time to buy a new one.

The mapping and visibility of this machine are simple to the user, but the actions that go along with the device do not work the way they are sought to work. Which makes this object very fr
ustrating to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment