Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Love/Hate By Olivia Allen


The object that I hate is my rogers remote control. The remote control is way to big, with too many buttons. When I watch TV I don’t like to look down to change the channel or look down to use any of the other buttons, however the remote is so big that I always have to look down to press the buttons that I want. I also have to readjust my hand to move up and down the remote to get to other buttons. This is very annoying when I am trying to change the channel in a flash. Another thing that is really annoying about the design of the remote is the mapping, the number keys on the remote is nowhere near the channel and volume buttons, which is something I am very used to. I would also think that the buttons would be aligned in order of which ones we most important to the least however this is not the case because the buttons that I use the least like the play pause stop and rewind are located in a central area, an area which would be better suited for buttons that are used more often. The buttons also have many constraints because the buttons can only be pushed at certain times. Also the overall design of remote is terrible there is no comfortable hand grip or any comfortable place to hold it. There is no feedback on the device when a button is pushed it doesn’t light up or make a sound. The designers had some very good ideas for what would be good in a remote but the implementation of it was not the best.





The object that I love is my macbook. I love the sleek design of it as well as it is very easy to use. The designers took a lot of time to and consideration into mapping. All of the key for the laptop are placed in an area that is very efficient for its need and that is very visible. I love it how the buttons that control music and movies to play, pause and rewind are located right beside the volume buttons. Everything is clearly labelled and gives good feedback, every time I touch a key it makes a clicking sound so that I know the function was done properly. Some keys such as the caps lock button light up when it is pressed right, which works really well because sometimes I don’t press it properly however I can tall this because it doesn’t light up.

No comments:

Post a Comment