Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Exercise Four - Annika Hoefs



The object that I love is my cell phone.

The model I own is a Samsung MM-A900. The phone was my moms for a few months but she gave it to me and bought a new cell at the end of the summer in 2007 because I was using it way more than she was. Affordances such as a conveniently adjustable camera lens make taking photos more precise. I also like that I can turn the camera on just by pushing a button on the side of the phone, rather than going through the menu to find the camera options. The mapping on my cell is pretty straight forward, each of the buttons on the outside have little pictographs engraved in the metal so that you can tell what they do. The visibility arrangement on my screen was a little overwhelming for me at the beginning, this being my first cell phone, but the more I became accustomed to the layout, the more I could appreciate it. Only the necessities are displayed on the main screen of the phone, such as the time and date and if I have a new message. My phone is a little big but that generally does not cause any problems, it results in a larger screen to view text messages and pictures. Last, my phone can put up with plenty of wear and tear, it has been dropped, thrown, kicked, splashed and spilled on numerous times and it's still holding up to the task.


The object that I hate is my laptop.
My dad bought me my computer at the beginning of the school year here at ocad. I decided that he must have found a refurbished one for a good deal and just told that it was brand new. When I set it up in my res everything was fine except for the volume, it took about a week for me and the help of several computer savvy friends to finally fix the problem. Within two or three weeks of purchasing this "necessity", the webcam stopped working for no apparent reason, I still have no idea where it went. Clearly there is a problem with the mapping because it is very hard for me to diagnose problems and or find solutions. A constraint that I have is my lack of knowledge regarding computer skills , I am sure this is the biggest part of my problem but I have had other people complain about my computer while using it so it cannot just be me.

No comments:

Post a Comment